[AT] Farmall H wide front end

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Apr 1 12:07:15 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean Van Peursem" <deanvp at att.net>
To: "'Antique tractor email discussion group'"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:58 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Farmall H wide front end

> Guy,
>
> I agree this is a very complex issue and one that is also very dependent
> on how the weight is
> distributed on the tractor. A WFE changes the dynamic of the response to a
> bump experienced on one
> front tire similar to what a JD Roll-O-Matic does on a narrow front end.

I've never driven a narrow front tractor as there were never many here. My
Uncle had a Farmall M and he did tip it over and lived to tell about it.
Popular belief was that the narrow front was more prone to tipping over and
I tend to believe it.
Remember the old Honda trikes? (Like the one I have). The companies quit
building them and changed to 4 wheelers as the trikes were considered to be
unstable after a few people rolled them and were injured. Its certainly true
if I take a corner too fast on my old "Big Red" it will lift the inner rear
wheel. I have never seen a quad do this. Yet people are still being injured
or killed even on 4 wheels. Driving with due care and attention will
compensate for most mechanical "design flaws" in my opinion.

Ralph in Sask.