[AT] Still need the classics

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun Sep 27 13:54:49 PDT 2009

Hi Al.  I agree about the mismatch, just enjoying pulling Dean VP's chain a
little bit.  :-)

And I do truly love all these old machines.  I know the 3020 wasn't the
highest-regarded New Generation tractor by a very long shot, but something
about them just fits well with me.  No doubt the 2520s are great machines,
and if one crosses my path someday when I have the money and barn space for
it, I'll be most pleased.  I can't imagine I'll ever need all the
capabilities of a late 4020 diesel powershift but that doesn't stop me from
noticing when one is up for sale nearby.  Same for the red tractors:  In
addition to my M I'd love another late Super M like the one I should have
kept ten years ago, and it'd be hard to beat a 706 or 806 for feeling like
the king of the mountain.  Hearing that smooth Oliver six-cylinder hum on a
77 or 88 would make a nice way to spend an afternoon, too.  And of course
that Allis D-15 my dad used to have was such a handy little workhorse that
I'd be nuts to turn one of those away...

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net