[AT] Pole building value

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Sep 25 05:25:29 PDT 2009

Mike,  I think Roy is pointing you in the right direction.  Most insurance
agencies  these days use a computer program by Marshall and Swift (or
possibly some other vendors) that gives them the replacement value of
building.  Tell them the details of the building and the age and they should
be able to tell you what replacement cost and depreciated cost.

Remember this, replacement cost and depreciated cost might vary greatly from
market value.  If a barn like that is "typical" of similar residential
properties in that neighbor hood the market value might be similar to the
depreciated cost.  If most folks in that neighborhood would want a barn like
that but for reasons of lot size, changes in zoning law, etc. can not build
such a barn then it's market value might exceed replacement value.  If most
people in that neighborhood are typical suburbanite types and would never
have a use for such a barn then the market value might be less than what it
would cost to replace or construct.  In fact in some cases it might even
lower the sales price of the house when compared to a similar house with no
barn.  It's all driven by the dynamics of the particular neighborhood market
you are located in.

I know that  is more info than you asked for but that is an appraisers
answer to your question and you might find some of the explaination valuable
if you attempt to finance the purchase.

I'm assuming the house is probably on a larger sized lot and in a somewhat
rural area.  In that case I would not expect to pay more for the barn than
the depreciated replacement cost.  The appraisal principle known as
"substitution" states that no informed TYPICAL buyer will ever pay more for
a property and it's improvements than it would cost to buy a similar site
and construct the improvements.

I put TYPICAL in all caps because when it comes to mortgage appraisal
everything is based on the TYPICAL buyer because the appraisal is for the
lender and they want to know what they can expect to get for the property if
the buyer defaults on the loan.

Hope this was helpful.

Charlie