[Farmall] let the buyer beware!

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 23 19:08:48 PDT 2009

  About a month ago a friend brought a newly acquired Super A over to have
the carb rebuilt and the wheels moved in. He spotted a grease leak on the
left side bull gear and told us to take care of it while we had it here.
What should have taken hour or so turned into a huge project. It turns out
the bull gear housing had been welded (pretty darn good I might add) to the
transmission housing. After I finally sawed, ground, cut and chiseled it off
we found the top portion of the mounting flange had been broken and repaired
with brass. Also it had the dowels removed and the transmission had been
drilled to 5/8 bolts (7/16 was standard). We knew the housing needed
replacing, but so did all the components. The only useable item besides the
studs for the drawbar was the brake drum. Anyway the owner talked the seller
into giving him a "useable" bull gear. All it needed was the bearings
replaced, the axles knurled, and new seals! I installed thread repair
bushings in the transmission to allow us to go back to 7/16 studs like
original. We decided to take off the shifter cover since a watery mess was
running out of the transmission. First thing we noticed was the oil slinger
was broke and pretty well ground up. Both shafts had a lot of play so we
decided to put in new bearings. When we pulled off the pinion cap we found
the bolt had backed out allowing for some unusual gear wear. Anyway we put
the transmission back together and aside from some gear noise, it appears OK
(we have an A that has been here since new and it had the pinion bolt back
out on it 40 years ago---it's still noisy). While test driving, the tractor
began starving for fuel. Turns out the tank was full of tar and the portion
of the neck that locks the cap had been damaged. So we replaced the fuel
tank.

Otherwise the tractor looks well cared for and runs great. It doesn't appear
to be abused. The steering is VERY tight, none of the front cultivator bolts
have been stripped and drilled oversize and there are no visible engine
leaks. My point in telling all this is to serve as a reminder what you can
get into next time you go tractor shopping.

John Hall