[AT] Lost my Dad

Rob Wilson ro.wilson at att.net
Mon Sep 21 19:54:11 PDT 2009

Well guys the man that inspired my interest in tractors and all things rural
has passed from this life. My Dad was only 74 and taken too soon. It was him
that introduced me to farming and "old" things when I was a youth and him
that later rekindled that interest when he introduced me to Gene Dotson. I
had my Grandpa's first tractor he ever bought a dilapidated 1944
Allis-Chalmers C with a belly mounted sickle mower that my Grandma gave me
when she moved off the farm. Probably thinking I was the only one that would
save it but unfortunately it sat outside under a tarp for far too many
years. For Gene that restored it it was the worst looking parts tractor he's
ever seen. With a lot of prodding from my Dad and a great deal of work and
tons more generosity from Gene the C sprang to life. I was so proud of "my"
tractor and my Dad was too he cried at seeing it restored after all those
years of sitting. It had been 50 longs years since my Dad had taken a ride
on the old C when on a Father's day about five years ago he took her for a
ride around my backyard. My Grandma was there to see it too and she too had
a tear in her eye seeing it a color other than rust and actually running. He
told me stories of driving it to the neighbor's farm to watch the Saturday
night wrestling and driving home in the dark with the C's headlamps leading
the way. I want to take this time to openly thank my Dad for all he did and
thank Gene for making my Dad so happy. For all you guys out there that have
lost your Dad's you probably know exactly how I feel and for all you guys
who's Dad is still around do me and yourself a favor. Next time you see him
give him a big hug and tell him how much he means to you and how much you
love him. Someday you won't be able to.
Thanks for listening
Rob Wilson son of Larry Wilson