[AT] TMCOTKU tractor count is down by one.

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Oct 19 08:52:10 PDT 2009

You have to remember that Ford's strategy of the time was low price and
functionality. The 9N was intended to make owning a tractor not only
affordable but to be functionally superior to its competition in the
area of plowing. So you had an inexpensive machine that could plow two
rows using less power and was better than bigger and more expensive
tractors (and horses/mules) using "pull behind" plows. You can argue
about a lot of things relative to functionality/comfort of the 9N, but
you have to agree that it accomplished those two objectives. Things like
footboards, live PTO, live hydraulics, and a host of other nice features
would have added to the cost. The only "frill" was electric starter
interlock, and there were a bunch of options like electric starting and
lights.

I own a 2N that I restored mostly for the fun of it. It is a nice enough
machine, but the three speed transmission, poor location of the left
brake pedal, and lack of a hitch that you can move without engaging both
the clutch AND PTO limits its usefulness. My Ford 860, in addition
having a much more powerful engine and two stage clutch, makes up for
most of the 2N's deficiencies. (My 2N happens to have both a Sherman
auxiliary transmission and a Howard two speed rear, giving the tractor
12 speeds forward and 4 speeds in reverse, but that doesn't help the
problem with the hitch hydraulics and non-live PTO.)
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1946_ford_2n/>

I recall one time when Cecil and Lucille Monson came for a visit. My
Ford was sitting off to the side and Lucille hopped on and stated that
it would be the kind of tractor that she wouldn't mine operating. And
even Cecil (who developed a dislike for Fords after having to spend days
on them as a youth) had to agree that it was one of the easiest tractors
to get on and off of.

Mike