[AT] KY Tractor Stolen

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Oct 31 09:09:11 PDT 2009

I hope he finds it Herb.  With some luck a kid took it on a joy ride and
it's in the woods somewhere nearby.

I've been pretty lucky with theft but I had one really strange thing happen
once.  A guy hired me to disc up a small lot he owned.  It was right at the
end of a service road beside of and in plain view of a major 4 lane highway
(US 70 East of New Bern, NC), a couple of businesses and a couple of houses.
It was only about 1/2 acre but it was clay and had a lot of weeds, etc so I
had to go over it many times to get it in shape.    I went to lunch for
about an hour.  I left the tractor and disc sitting right beside the side
ditch of the 4 lane highway.   When I came back after lunch (no more than an
hour) the disc axle nut on the left front gang and the end disc blade were
GONE!   There was no sign of anyone trampling the ground.   They must have
started the tractor and raised the lift to take it off.  I first thought it
must have somehow come loose and fallen off somewhere in the lot so I walked
the whole lot several times.  It was no where to be found.  Now this was an
old Ford-Mac disc and there can't be many of them around these days.  I
can't imagine who would even want that nut or why they would steal it but
after thinking about it, that's the only thing that could have happened and
they sure had a lot of nerve to do it in plain sight, in the middle of the
day when, if they were watching, they had to know I had gone to lunch and
would soon be back.  That nut had been on that axle for probably 20 years.
I'm surprised they could even get it off but they did.

I got another blade and had a guy  make me a nut (I don't know why the guy
who stole it didn't have someone make one for him) and went back and
finished the job.  I cut back over the entire lot and didn't hit the blade
burried in the dirt so I know there is no way it fell off.

Charlie