[AT] Gary Parker; now plow guide

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 07:32:01 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Herbert Metz <metz-h.b at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Steve, thanks for posting.
> The plow guide is something that I do not remember seeing before.  Would
> assume "it guides in some manner"?
> Would appreciate someones describing where it is located and how it works.
> Herb

Hi Herb:
Most of those attached to the outer end of the right front wheel
spindle and the disk or small wheels ran in the furrow out ahead of
the tractor right front wheel. In the case of the ones shown the left
disc ran against the furrow wall angled very slightly away from the
furrow wall while the outer disc was angled strongly toward the furrow
wall.
On the ones I have seen the attachment just slipped over the extended
spindle and a pin held it in place.
-
During WW-II my father was working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week
testing aircraft engines at Allisons in Indy and farming. He was using
a Ford 9N and he would plow a deep headland marker furrow at the ends
of the fields to wake him up if he dozed (common) and attached a long
spring like an extra heavy screen door spring to one steering arm so
that if you let go of the wheel it steered toward the furrow. My
mother used to say that at times she would see him off of the tractor
walking behind the tractor in the furrow. He always claimed to have
only gone through one fence. That tractor had a factory accessory cab
and the front post of the cab kept the barbed wire from getting him.
In later years we still sometimes added a spring while plowing. No
sleeping but it did allow you to sit around sideways in the seat and
just watch the plow.
-
I always liked the little simple cab in the middle of summer sitting
there cultivating. I don't recall us ever installing the snap on side
curtains on it during the years I drove it. I wish I had one of them
now.

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson