[AT] Powerpoint question (OT)

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Wed Oct 28 20:06:45 PDT 2009

Charlie, I suspect you have a situation where the original files were created by different versions of the Power Point software from the one you are trying to open it with.  Even though there is supposed to be compatibility between versions, it doesn't always work.  I'm running four computers with more or less the same software on each, but there are some attachments that simply refuse to open on some of them.  Since I run all emails directly off the server (which is located somewhere on our cable) then none of the messages get downloaded to any of my systems and I can open them with a different computer by simply walking across the room.  Wave files cause more problems for me than Power Point, but either of them can be ignored by a system that may not have a reader that is compatible with the original file.  On PDF files, I have versions 4,5,6,7, and 8 installed.  The switching is almost automatic, but I do get an error message in a dialog box when incompatibilities show up.  They always let me bypass the incompatibility with a warning that some features may not work.  But with Power Point files, I have not figured out a work-around for the problem.  I simply change work stations and try to open the file again on another system.

Larry