[AT] Powerpoint question

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Oct 28 17:55:37 PDT 2009

charliehill wrote:
> I haven't had to ask a computer question on this list in a while.  I know
> you guys miss helping me so here goes.
>
> I don't have powerpoint on this computer but I do have the MS Powerpoint
> viewer.  Used to when I got a .pps file I could click on it and it would
> open.  Well a while back that stopped working.  Now if I click to open a
> .pps file from an e-mail I get an error (file association) message.  I have
> to save the file to my hard drive, then open it from the hard drive.  I've
> set the associations the only way I know how, by right clicking the file
> name on the hard drive and telling it to always open with powerpoint viewer
> but it still will not open directly from the e-mail message in outlook
> express.  I can't figure out how to fix it.
>
> Charlie

Charlie,
One of the "updates" that MS put in place to help you was to switch the
toggle in Tools for you.

Go into Tools, Security. Look for "Don't open or save attachments that
could contain a virus" You want that option OFF.

HOWEVER make sure your anti-virus is up to date and working. PLUS only
open attachments from folks you trust.
Personally the nannyware that MS has now is another of the reasons I run
Thunderbird. I control it and set it up the way I want.
For instance, with an attachment I see it at the bottom of the message
and then can select to save/open directly or scan it without any
problems. Plus I can shut off ALL the HTML crud and not have that to
bother with.

--
Steve W.