[AT] Trailer safety chains?

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 07:12:09 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Lew Best <lew at lewslittlefarm.com> wrote:
> I have a coupla trailers with chains that are a little too long; found I can
> shorten them by "twisting them" a few turns.
>
> Lew Best near Waco, TX

That will shorten the chain but it will also "greatly" increase the
likelihood of the chain snapping under a sudden load.
When I was a kid my father was a fanatic about keeping chains
absolutely straight when pulling a heavy load and especially when
doing things like pulling stumps or big rocks where you tended to jerk
on it. The chain had to be stretched out on the ground and eyeballed
down the chain to be sure that there was no twist in it at all.

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"