[Farmall] Long runs

Karl Olmstead kolmstead4 at msn.com
Sat Oct 24 19:27:29 PDT 2009

I drove my (unrestored) 1936 O-12 in a parade in Ridgecrest, CA today.  I live outside town, and my trailer was full of building materials, so I drove the tractor to town.  About seven miles each way, maybe two more for the parade.  Over an hour each way.

I did the usual prep.  Filled the cooling fan lube reservoir, added a quart or so of engine oil, topped off the gas tank, and that was about it.  Radiator looked fine, probably because I rebuilt it a couple of years ago.  I cheated and used one of those tall IHC gas caps.  I drove this tractor in a parade a few months ago, and the original gas cap leaked a lot.  Scared me enough that I brought a fire extinguisher with me.

I can't recommend long distance runs on an O-12.  The operator platform is pretty rough.  Seat was hard, even with a towel on it.  No good place for your feet.  If you lean your knees against the fenders, they get beat up.  If you let the hand clutch lever rattle around, sooner or later it will disengage the clutch.

The tractor performed flawlessly.  I was expecting 10 mph in third gear, but I think it ran closer to 6 mph.  Engine ran at max rpm for hours.  Probably around 1800 rpm; I think it would take 2200 to get 10 mph.  Coolant drooled out of the radiator cap all the way into town, but level was still good when I checked it.  Engine oil leaked from numerous spots.  Tranny fluid found some exit paths also.

I waved extra hard at anyone in a wheel chair along the parade route.  And at the kids, of course.  Dodged most of the horse poop on the road.  Was way behind the cheerleaders, to my disappointment.

Only two tractors in the parade; we usually manage six or seven.  A '36 O-12 and a '51 Fordson Major.  Both of us were driving 'real' tractors; little or no paint, and lots of leaks.  Hope the folks appreciated our effort.

-Karl