[AT] new project

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sat Oct 24 11:14:52 PDT 2009

The H we had on the farm did not have the steering mechanism for the
cultivators that Len described.  If did have a bolted in bracket ( bent
piece of steel) about 1.25 x 4" with a couple of holes located about 2/3 of
the way up the radiator for the support arms from the outer ends of the
cultivator to attached to.  The bracket attached to a cast piece that
contained the steering support and worm / sector housing.

As far as wobble in an H's steering, it is almost a design feature.  We got
a new sector and worm and ours that was tight for a year or two, that's
about all.  Seems like the sector could be turned and just a new worm would
give you a new tighter steering.  Not much else can effect the sheering's
tightness.One of the tricks is to make sure when you replace the cover on
the steering gear housing to put a little grease on it to seal it well or
the gear oil would tend to leak out over time.  Grease seemed to control it,
today we would probably just use peratex.