[AT] Farmall 656

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Oct 23 14:11:00 PDT 2009

I think that, except for the engine, the hydraulics of the 656 are
similar to the 706. If that is the case, you can remove the filter cover
without draining the entire system. You will probably lose a couple of
quarts of hydraulic fluid. One note - the gasket between the housing and
the cover plate is just paper, so be very careful with it, or be
prepared to make/buy a new one. The filter is on the suction side of the
system, so a poorly fitting gasket can/will result in cavitation from
air entering the system. The filter is a metal/paper assembly that is
available from Case IH or NAPA/Baldwin/WIX - it is common to a dozen
different IH tractors of that era.

If your hydraulic fluid is clear and clean, I would just leave things
well enough alone. If the fluid is dirty or white (water contamination),
then you really should change it.

Mike