[AT] TMCOTKU tractor count is down by one.

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Oct 20 05:07:56 PDT 2009

I grew up with Massey Fergusons, from a to-35 to a MF50D, to a MF65, to
both Diesel and LP MF85's, a MF1100, and then finally a MF1155.  The
1100 was the best of all of them.  The 1155 was built when Massey had
some union problems and that tractor was the worst about keeping
hydraulics working of any one I owned.  It seemed like overnight it
would either drop a gallon of fluid or just stop working. The Multi
Power would quit at the drop of a hat.  The PTO never worked from the
day it was new.  I pulled the top deck and found a missing snap ring
when it was 11 years old.

When I got on a 930 c ase after being away from one for over 20 years, I
was plowing with a 5 bottom case plow working up terraces.  I had
forgotten what fresh earth smelled like.  The old small MF tractors had
you sitting straddling the transmission.  You had all that heat from the
trans and the engine all day long.  That housing got pretty warm after a
day of plowing.  I had forgotten how enjoyable driving a tractor was
when you sat on top of it instead of down in it.  However for utility
work you still cannot beat them for size and maneuverability.  I wish I
had one to run the grain wagon while I plant some oats.   I gt to go and
get some parts right now for the TYE drill I bought.  I am going to use
it to plant my wheat field in oats and just let the frost get the weeds
this time.  I don't have time to do much now since I am the nurse for my
DAD who is bedfast.  2 days a week I get relief, then I have to feed and
change him every 2 to 3 hours.  That can really screw up a working day...

Cecil in OKla