[AT] Pertronix was: Generator ...

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 19 07:21:22 PDT 2009

> However, I think
> the best thing that ever happened to our old tractors is Pertronix
> ignition systems...

I have used the Pertronix in several Corvairs and they make a world of
difference.

I had trouble starting my '65 Ford 3000 after almost a year of it sitting.
The points had closed up and the nut to the points was loose.  I got it
running and while brush hogging the nut came loose again.  I gave it a good
tightening and put a Pertronix on order.

Well the Pertronix is sitting on the front seat of the pickup waiting for me
to get around to putting it in.  Yesterday I was pulling some logs in the
woods when the tractor ran out of gas (I know but I was hoping to get this
last log taken care of).  It was walk down to the gas can then back up.  The
tractor sputtered and started then stopped.  The weak battery gave out
before I remembered the points.  Now it was walk back to the pickup, bring
the pickup as close as I could, remove the battery, carry it to the pickup,
haul it to the battery charger, then after a while reverse the whole
process.  Mean while I forgot to get the little wrench so the Leatherman
came in handy again to tighten the nut.

I got everything sorted out and as I was driving the pickup out of the woods
when I remembered the Pertronix sitting on the seat (along with the set of
plugs for the pickup I have had for almost a month now).  I walked back to
the tractor which was running very good so why not pull a few stumps.  After
about five stumps it quit again.  That is enough for one day, drive to
tractor to the tool box and shut it off, shower and head off to visit some
friends and snag one of her excellent meals.

The Pertronix goes on today but I am not sure when the pickup will get new
plugs.

Don Bowen  KI6DIU
New ruralize pages, follow the link off http://www.ruralize.com