[AT] OT... sort of

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Oct 19 04:25:49 PDT 2009

I spend a fair amount of time doing just that, Dick. But all the folks
on the various audio lists that I belong to recommend not using those
USB turntables and cartridges. They claim that an older high quality
turntable and cartridge will provide much better sound than the USB
devices.

I use 5 different turntables, depending on whether I am ripping 78's,
45's, or LP's. For software, I use Audacity by SoundForge, so I can use
various filters to make adjustments and convert from .wav to .mp3. You
can see some of my audio/electronics gear at
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/old-electronics-and/>. I connect the
"tape" output from my amplifier to a device that converts the two RCA
cables to USB. I could go directly from the amplifier to the computer's
sound card, but the USB signal is a higher bit rate (for better sound
quality).

Mostly I save the records to open reel tape - I like the sound better.
But you can't play 10.5" tapes in the car...

I have my sound system piped into the tractor repair bay in the barn so
I can listen to my favorites while I am fixing up old tractors. The most
recent was a 1952 Farmall Cub that had been in storage for the previous
8 years. ("ran when parked")
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1952-farmall-cub/>

Mike