[AT] Generator LP fuel consumption

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Oct 18 06:03:53 PDT 2009

For whatever it is worth, my backup electric system is my Farmall 560
diesel with a 25KW PTO generator and a manual whole house transfer
switch. The tractor burns about 1 gallon of fuel per hour, which is
tolerable. The only downsides are 1. that I have to fetch the tractor
from the barn area, drive it up to the house, hook up the tumbler bar,
get the tractor up to speed, then throw the transfer switch. All of this
usually in the middle of the night in a driving rain/snow/sleet storm.
2. I have to keep looking out to the barn to see when the power has been
restored. 3. having the tractor running full speed right next to the
house is somewhat noisy.

I used to have a Farmall 706 gas that had a two speed PTO, so I could
use the 1000 rpm shaft to run the generator at half engine speed, which
was much quieter. Sometimes I wish I had kept the 706, but the
transmission linkage was a big problem that I could  never quite fix,
and it drank a lot of gas.

Mike

<snip>  I prefer a slightly oversized old style generator.