[AT] Generator LP fuel consumption

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Oct 18 05:33:22 PDT 2009

If it is a 1800 rpm unit it might not be too bad, providing you do not
load it to capacity very often.  One of the worst attributes to these is
  when they are equipped with an automatic start transfer switch.  When
you have an ice storm in a rural area, the first line to snap is the
ground line, or neutral.  This causes an immediate power surge in the
hot line.  I could go into all the reasons, but suffice to say it
happens.  When we had the ice storm of 07 here in Oklahoma, I had a few
friends who had greenhouses for exotic flowers.  They all had auto
transfer switches.  The generator would start up, come up to power then
shut down.  Manual restart, same thing.  There is a circuit board that
checks to see if the generator is running by the exciter power voltage.
  That board was fried by the power surge.  Generac servicemen were in
very short supply.  I got called in as the guy who could make anything
run.  After about a half hour of consulting on the phone, and then a
site visit, I confirmed what it was, not having any experience on
Generac systems.  I too, am fascinated by generators, and have somewhere
close to 30 around here from 1kw to 65kw, and ranging in age from 2
years to 60years.  Anyway, Generac would not warranty these boards, and
the cstomer was stuck for a $400 dollar circuit board.  I wired around
the shutdown and got the units running, 8 in all, and they ran without
safety shutdowns for 6 days until the power was restored.  I prefer a
manual system all the way, I like a sight tube in the oil pan, and
manual transfer switches.  The 3600 rpm units in the motorhomes never
lasted  very long.  Here in OK, we have ice that can knock out power for
weeks.  I ran a 60Kw detroit 3-71 with a Brown & Boveri 75kw end for 21
days in '02.  It replaced my 15kw Onan gasoline.  The detroit used 75
gallons a day, but it was running 2 homes and a shop very well.  I
replaced it last year with a 65KW Onan self contained unit.  It has an
Allis Chalmers engine the same as my 7030 Allis tractor.  I have not ran
it long enough to really test it.  It also has a circuit board problem
as the starter will not disengage.  I wired around that and installed a
switch to manually crank it.  Onan dealer wanted $1500 to repair the
board.  I guess what I am really getting at is that these gfenerators
that have all this solid state crap are not reliable in a rural
environment.  I prefer a slightly oversized old style generator.
Driving an oversized generator with a smaller powered engine will allow
the generator to start heavy loads easier without paying for the fuel of
the larger engine.  It also stops the power surges and spikes when
motors stop on the line.  If you have central heat, it is better to run
the fan constant than to cycle on a generator.  Less power spikes.

I hope this makes sense, If it serves your purpose, it wasn't a mistake.
  Just keep a service schematic around and know how to wire around the
circuits..

Cecil in OKla