[AT] gasifiers

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Oct 15 09:11:35 PDT 2009

Ken,  in the youtube videos I've watched most of the issues you have
mentioned have been addressed.  I won't try to recite the answers as I'm
sure I would get most of them confused or incorrectly recalled.  I would
suggest, if you have a high speed connection, you spend some time watching
the videos.  Many of them are trash but some are very good.   The filtering
that I have seen in most systems is done by merely passing the gasses
through wood chips or other bio mass that will eventually be used as more
fuel for the gasifier.  This in turn makes those chips a bit dryer and also
covered with the tars it makes them better fuel.  Apparently, if the hot
zone (I forget the term) of the gasifier is correctly constructed and
combustion air properly channeled into the bio mass, most of the tars and
volitile compounds are broken down in the gasifier and MOST of what comes
out the pipe is H2 and CO with some methane.

In the one video of the guys building the FEMA designed rig out of old
drums, the guy says what he is getting out the end and burning is nearly
pure hydrogen.  He makes that assumption by the color of the flame and the
odor (or lack there of) of the fumes from the flame.

In one of the other videos a guy points out that he is burning CO as
evidenced by a beautiful blue flame.

Charlie