[AT] gasifiers

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Thu Oct 15 06:57:16 PDT 2009

    Wood and all biomass fuels burn in 2 stages. The first and most
noticable is the gas burning that is driven out by the heat, this is the
flame you like to see in the fireplace. The second stage is the ember or
charcoal stage when the solid part of the wood is consumed.  A fuel heated
or burned in a limited oxygen atmosphere will drive the gas from the fuel
and when directed to a chamber with free oxygen will then be consumed with
very little waste or smoke.

    All biomass fuels contain gas as a normal product of growth, mostly
methane. Gas can be rendered by using heat or pressure or a combination of
both as nature does in the production and accomulation of natural gas.

    Many have noticed that burning wood that has laid for many years in the
woods will burn with less visible flame than fresh wood due to the loss to
the atmosphere of the gases. The solid mass is still there and burns well in
the ember stage. (I use ember stage as I don't know the actual term).

    I have wondered how much gas could be extracted from sawdust and a
system to pressurize it and capture the gas?

                        Gene