[AT] OT Gasifiers

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 05:36:55 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 7:28 AM, charliehill <charliehill at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> The only way I would want use a gasifier to run a car or tractor would be
> the same as it was used in the war, in an emergency.   My thoughts on using
> gasifiers are just as you mention Mattias, to use some waste biomass to run
> a generator or to more efficiently produce heat.

Only problem there, Charlie, is that emergencies always happen
suddenly, by definition.  And you can't just "suddenly" develop your
own wood gas rig.  Even the crappy ones that barely function take a
whole lot of home-shop fiddling to get there.

Everything I've always heard about wood gas was quite negative and
that's pure engineering, not counting at all the emotional connections
to WWII.  It's quite messy, the engine runs terribly if at all, and
the gases are extremely corrosive.

SO