[AT] OT Gasifiers

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Oct 13 04:48:49 PDT 2009

Mattias, in the reading I've done gengas is one of the terms used along with
syngas, producer gas and some others.  It turns out that the first internal
combustion engines ran on this type of fuel because back then there was no
gasoline, diesel of kerosene.  It had not yet been invented.  The
gasification technology is pretty old and was certainly proved in Europe
during WWII.  It has died out because of the availability of cheap, reliable
fuels.  However, in the future if we are going to run our old tractors,
making our own fuel might again become necessary.

If you farm and have waste straw, corn stalks, wood chips or whatever then
it eventually becomes almost free fuel after you recapture the cost of
building a gasifier.  One youtube video I watched was done by a guy who was
obviously some sort of an engineer.  His gasifier was not just some thrown
together junk and he had it to the point of being very efficient.  He said
he could make enough methane from 30 lbs of wood chips to run a car with a
350 chevy at highway speed and turning 3200 rpm or so for about an hour.  If
it is turning 3200 at highway speed that would imply that it was an older,
hotrod type car like a early 80's Camaro or Monte Carlo or something.  That
would mean about 15 mpg or so.  At 15 mpg it would take about 24 lbs of
gasoline to go that far.
I don't know if he can actually do that or not but if he can he's got
something going that could be worthwhile.

Charlie