[AT] Update on brothers tractor

Ivan Cousins ivancou at windstream.net
Fri Oct 9 16:58:54 PDT 2009

 Stopped by and looked at my brothers tractor today ,A C model B . Wico C
mag with no fire . New points & cond .    Took the coil cover off ,checked
to see wher eall the wires went to . Checked coil from ground to primary &
secondary ,ok near as I can tell . Had continuity ,couple ohms restance .
Checked wire to kill switch ,ok . Put cover back on ,hooked wire to points
after buffing them with a card .Gaped and checked with meter ,good there.
All back together ,cranked tractor over . Had spark from coil kinda orange
but it jumped a 1/4 gap . So put distributor cap on set choke, gas & cranked
. Little black smoke ,no bangs or sputters . Questioned brother on exactly
what he did when he changed points . He couldnt get the engine to turn by
hand so he turn it with the starteer till it stopped on one of the high
spots ,& set points . He cranked it without the gear reduction for the
distributor being  on, so for sure he lot time . A couple tries moving the
wires around got a couple bangs & gasps but nothing more . At that point I
was running late for something else so I told him to get tthe book out ,find
tdc ,verify it by checking valver and # 1 piston then put the distributor on
and set to # 1 .  The distributor that I'm refering to is the little gear
reduction drive that fits onto the coil cap ,much like the one on a farmall
mag . Of course he doesnt have a book that explains the mag in detail or how
to time it .  I've gotten into the farmall mags before and moved the gear
but I have to IH mag book to fall back on .  His pumpkin is similar but is
there anything I'm missing ?     I'm definate it is a mag ,and I have spark
at the coil ,just need to get it to the right plugs .  The tractor has a
front loader with the pump being driven from the front of the crank so I
cant use a hand crank to turn it over . I can put a pipe wrench onto the
shaft that goes to the pump but it chews the shaft up and I really dont want
to pull the pump .  Ok I made the adapter to run the pump off the crank ,
kinda set up like to old fords to clarify that .     Before I have to take
the car hauler down and drag it up here where I have decent tools and
shelter to work on am I missing something ?   Thanks, Ivan