[AT] Thanks!

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 16:38:22 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 6:28 PM, David Rotigel <rotigel at me.com> wrote:
> See: http://cgi.ebay.com/RIVET-EZE-III-CAST-IRON-RIVETING-TOOL_W0QQitemZ250507900623QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a536f36cf#ht_500wt_1182
>        Dave
>
> On Oct 9, 2009, at 5:49 PM, Mike Sloane wrote:
>
>> I tried using a hammer once on a sickle bar rivet and gave up. I use a
>> "spinner" and it is not only quick and easy, but makes the sections
>> sit
>> down tight. And I pops out old rivets with ease. See
>> <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/tools__equipment/rivettoolforsickleb.html
>> >
>> for an image of mine. Mine is about 20 years old, but I am told they
>> are
>> still available (at a higher price than the $25 I paid).
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Larry Goss wrote:
>>> It just goes to show you that I have NOT learned all of life's
>>> lessons yet, Chuck.  In my heart, I would still like to be able to
>>> set a rivet on a sickle bar with just one blow rather than
>>> tick-tick-tick away at it for a half hour or more.
>>>
>>> Larry

I have a couple of those spinners but have never used them. I also
have a new one of these which I also have never used yet:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jfmco.com/shop/images/sickle%2520no%2520background.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jfmco.com/shop/index.php%3FcPath%3D161%26main_page%3Dindex&usg=__-0ClVvv9ekNU0kBLzfWgcMs6a0g=&h=496&w=600&sz=111&hl=en&start=13&um=1&tbnid=QNUodc5Akd82PM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsickle%2Btool%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS257%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1
-
I mostly just change sections with the sickle still in the mower. I
have an old king-pin that I ground flats on the sides at one end so it
fits up between the guards. It sits on a heavy oak block with the
ground flat end up with the weight of the mower bar sitting on it. It
has a shallow dimple in that end that centers on the rivet head and
holds it solidly up in the bar. I give the rivet a solid whack with a
hammer while being sure that the section stays down flat. That whack
swells the body of the rivet  which tightens it solidly in the holes
of both parts. After I have both rivets done like that I then flip the
hammer over and peen it down some then I use a regular rivet set to
finish the head of the rivet.
-
Removal of the old section if it is still attached is as simple as
popping the rivet heads off with a sharp cold chisel and tapping the
old rivets out with a small drift punch.
-
I can change a section and be mowing again in the time it usually
requires to pull the sickle out of the mower.
-
BTW, I do not consider it sufficient to just form a head on the
rivets. Unless you swell the shank of the rivet in the holes so that
there can be no movement at all the section can loosen with use.
-
I am going to rebuild the sickle in the mid-mount sickle mower on my
Allis C with these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mower-Section-Bolt-Kit-for-7-Foot-Sickle-Bars_W0QQitemZ370267734764QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090930?IMSfp=TL090930158007r2955

--
Have you hugged your horses today?