[AT] Thanks!

Recentjester at aol.com Recentjester at aol.com
Fri Oct 9 07:08:07 PDT 2009

thought it was a b&o  (break out bar) were in use in shipyards  too

In a message dated 10/9/2009 8:49:54 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
charliehill at embarqmail.com writes:

Steve  O,  I used to work for a logging company.  Their mechanic was one of

the best I've ever seen but having quit school at a very young age was
limited to what he could observe and learn by doing.  One day he was  under
piece of equipment, in an awkward position doing a something  greasy and
awkward.   Two guys that ran a little small time pulp  wood outfit came in
with the drive shaft out of their only pulpwood  truck.  It was a true
Marcell Ledbetter type truck.  They had  asked to use the vice and some
tools
to get the cross out of the  shaft.

They were over there pecking away as hard as they could swing a  4# or so
hammer.  Plink, plink, plink..........plink, on and on for  several
minutes.
I was standing by the piece of equipment and heard Bill  mumbling about the
noise.  All of a sudden Bill's creeper came flying  out from under the
equipment.  He  jumped up, hurriedly walked  over to the fellows, gave them
sort of a shove with his arm as he  said,   "GET OUT OF THE WAY, WHAT YOU
FELLERS NEED IS A BIGGER  #$%&^%^&%$ HAMMER".  Then the took the short
handled 10  #  or so hammer he had in his other hand and a drift pin and
hit
the  cross one good lick.  It fell on the floor.  He slid back under the
piece of equipment without another word and went back to work.

This  guy had forarms like Popeye.  I've seen him swing a 16 lb hammer for
what seemed like hours with someone holding a big drift pin for him with a
huge set of channel lock pliers.
Charlie