[AT] Thanks!

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Oct 8 07:52:22 PDT 2009

David, speaking of a silk purse and a sows ear.  I got an e-mail from a guy
the other day asking me if I wanted his extra chain saw.  He said something
about it having a case and all that was wrong was the latch on the side was
missing.  I assumed that meant the case was busted.  I told him I would take
it but figured I was for sure getting a sows ear and probably a rotten one.
He said he'd leave it by his garage door.

I went by the next day and there it was and the case was all latched up just
fine.  I put it in my truck and went home.  Well by the time I got home I
had something else on my mind and for a couple of hours forgot to even look
at my newly acquired treasure.  When I opened it up I found a Poulan 2150
Ultra Clean with an 18" bar and an extra chain.  The side cover that holds
the bar and chain on was not attached.  Hmmmm I'm thinking,  this is what he
meant about a busted latch.  (this guy looks through a microscope for a
living and carrying on a mechanical converstation with him is sometimes
challenging).

I started looking for the problem and couldn't find one.  The screw that
pushed the dog that adjusts the chain tension had popped out of the detent
in the housing.  I popped it back in, cleaned out some sawdust, lined the
dog up with the hole in the bar, put on the 2 nuts, tensioned the chain and
tightened the nuts up.  Then I added a little bit of fresh saw gas, pulled
out the choke, pulled the cord about 4 times and she sprang to life.
I went out and made 3 cuts through an 8" dogwood log.
The little Poulan is somewhat gutless but the chain was sharp and taking a
nice chip.  I only had to back off a couple of times to let her get up a
head of steam and she cut right on through.  I guess I was crowding it a
little hard to start with since I'm used to a larger saw.

Turns out I got a silk purse!  I still haven't figured out what he thought
was wrong with it unless he just didn't know how to line up the dog in the
bar to get the cover back on.

Charlie