[AT] Shipping containers for tractor storage (was Re: Tractor

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Oct 6 05:05:37 PDT 2009

Note that, in most parts of the US, you cannot just plop those
containers on the ground and forget about them - the bottoms will rot
out very quickly from the moisture coming up from the ground. What we do
is clear the area, put down some gravel, and then build a "foundation"
out of landscaping ties to keep the bottom off the ground. It does
elevate the container 6-8", but all you need is a little ramp to get up
to that level. (I suppose, in dry climates like Arizona, New Mexico,
etc., or if you have a paved area you might be able to get away without
the need to elevate the box.) It also helps to install some vents, as
the interiors can get very hot in the summer. If you are willing to
accept a container that has some damage (cuts in the surface or a munged
corner, etc.) you can save even more money. The cuts are easy enough to
patch, and the corners can be pretty much ignored.

Mike