[AT] Automatic parts washer please!

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun Oct 4 09:09:29 PDT 2009

Ivan Cousins wrote:
> John ,The vapor tank  has a heating element in the bottom  ,near the top
> there is a line theat goes the whole way around the outside . Cold water is
> pumped thru it to condense the vapor to keep it from escaping .Once
> something is put in the heater is turned on like Gene said . It takes off
> stuff with no effort  !  I think Gene also nailed it about the MEK being the
> solvent .Its been 33 years since I got out .  You had to be carefull to keep
> the vapor contained in the tank or boom ! Dont breath it or put bare hands
> in either . Only the PO 1 or cheif were allowed to use it .   Ivan

Used a vapor tank for a lot of years. The solvent of choice was
Trichloroethylene ours. It would take of just about everything. Ours
also had a wand that allowed you to spray liquid trichlor onto stubborn
areas. You could drop an entire grease covered block in the tank. Let it
set about 20 seconds and when you pulled it back up the grease was just
a fine dust that would blow off. The biggest problem was that because it
removed all oils the steel baskets we used to contain the parts would
rust almost instantly if they got damp.

Uncle Sam made the solvent illegal and none of the replacements worked
worth a damn.....

--
Steve W.