[AT] Automatic parts washer please!

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Sat Oct 3 17:46:21 PDT 2009

    Ivan;
    You mention the vapor cleaning tank. This works on a smaller scale using
MEK. The trapped vapor in a container will remove paint and grease on parts
suspended in the vapor.
    For small parts and nuts and bolts that are hard to clean, I like to use
acetone. Put them in a coffee can and cover with acetone and put the lid on
and let them soak. Occasionally, pick up the can and swirl it around by hand
to help clean. A little finishing up with a parts cleaning brush will
usually do the job.
    For heavy carbon deposits like valves, MEK does a good job of dissolving
that.

    For your protection, acetone and MEK require proetctive golves when
using them, also good ventilation is a must.

                            Gene