[AT] Automatic parts washer please!

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Sat Oct 3 18:31:23 PDT 2009

Gene, I'm a little hesitant to use heated solution.  A good friend
and retired machinist had some parts "cooking" in a large tank filled
with a solvent of some kind.  He went out to his shop to work and
when he opened the hot tank lid the whole she-bang erupted in his
face.  He lost most of his vision and got nasty burns over his upper
body.  He knew most of the older engines so well he could tear one
down and put it back together--by touch!  Anyway, for what its
worth--be careful.
I bought some solvent/cleaner to spray on dirty, grimy old tractors
prior to pressure washing that works famously, but it is really
strong.  When you spray it on a fender some of the paint almost
instantly dissolves and runs off.  Same with old grease.  The only
way I can buy it is direct from the retailer and it cannot be
shipped.  It is called "101C Plus."  A strong sodium hydroxide
base.  Recommended cleaning dillution is 200:1!  For really tough
grease they suggested a 40:dilution.  and $40+/5 gal.  I'm pretty
careful with it!     John