[AT] OT oil

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 08:46:35 PDT 2009

OK, to continue with that:  do you (meaning everybody reading this,
not just Paul) know anyone, anywhere, any time, that has experienced
an engine failure traceable to inferior lubricant?  I'll go first:
yes.  Certain model-year Volkswagen 1.8T engines are very particular
about their oil, and a lot of people who've ignored the MFG
requirements and instead had them serviced at quick-lube places (who
also ignore the mfg requirement) have had major engine problems.
There are a couple other particular engines, one a Toyota and one a
Chrysler, that are notorious for sludging if you ignore the MFG.  Note
the theme emerging here - if the oil carries proper certification, use
it with clear conscience.  What can you possibly learn from
word-of-mouth?

SO