[AT] O.T. Scribing on nearly flat rocks?

hank at millerfarm.com hank at millerfarm.com
Thu Oct 1 10:21:12 PDT 2009

Nobody has asked the most important question yet: what type of rock.

If you are looking at sandstone, your fingernail is about all you need.

Marble is easy with a hammer and cold chisel, go slow until you figure
out what you are doing.   If you have a lot you can buy an air hammer
of some sort, but for a small amount of work you are more likely to
ruin the stone before you figure out how to do it right.

Granite will take a lot of time no matter what you try, and you can
expect to wear away you tools as much as the rock, so buy plenty of
chisels.   (I've never done the sand blasting tricks others have
talked about though)

Some stones have a grain, hit the grain just right and instead of
carving a letter you split the stone.