[AT] Salting roads (was Re: Trans. fluid

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Nov 25 08:22:45 PST 2009

I am well aware of the harm that calcium chloride can cause to metal,
especially tractor rims
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1952-farmall-cub/leftrearrim.html>,
Ralph. That is why I suggested that you definitely not follow a road
department truck spraying the road right before a storm.

The problem, as someone else mentioned, is that drivers these days don't
want to slow down even a little bit in poor weather. If we don't put
down salt every time the weatherman predicts "wintry precipitation", the
town hall gets complaints. And if some idiot's vehicle slides on snow or
ice, we get sued. (Such suits go nowhere, of course, but they cost the
town taxpayers' money to deal with.) So it ends up being a balancing act
between saving the very large expense of the salt application vs.
dealing with a public that demands clean dry roads 24 hours a day, all
year long. If I had my way, we would wait until the snow stops coming
down and then plow it off the roads (during daylight, not in the middle
of the night while paying high overtime rates), but I don't get to make
that decision.

Mike