[AT] JD 214 WS timing problems-update

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 08:06:36 PST 2009

We got a brand new New Holland 282 baler when I was a much younger lad
(first and only NEW equipment I think anyone in the family bought for a
couple decades. probably means they got tired of fixing the predecessors!).
It started having trouble almost as soon as it started making bales. After
much wrangling they got a service guy out to look at the baler. He took one
look at the whole thing, saw the problems, walked over to the twine
compartment, looked inside and identified the problem.
The dealership had sold some lower cost twine that wasn't up to New Holland
specs and it would not tie worth a crap. Changing to a good grade solved the
problem instantly and we ran literally thousands of bales through that
machine year after year with little trouble. It got a LOT of use and I
believe still does.
We rarely had trouble with the knotters on that rig. We beat it up quite a
lot (broke the axle on the left side several times; something of a design
problem there and really rough ground) and it just kept going. Once in a
while we had to change the twine knives and we had to grease it several
times a day and we had to rebuild the pickup assembly about yearly because
we wore out the parts or hit a gopher mound and bent something. It was also
the only piece of equipment I remember being shedded regularly during the
winter (eastern Montana).
   The Wisconsin engine on it was pretty solid too. The biggest thing we had
to do was make sure we had the special shear pins for it as once in a while
she'd try stomping on the needles and the interlock would kick in and the
shear bolt would go away. There was also a shear bolt on the loading section
that had to be right or parts got broken. I don't think it ever had problems
with the twine needles because the interlocks saved them. The cage under
them when the axle broke and the weight of the baler dropped on that; seems
like we straightened it once or twice with a jack but that's about it.

Dad borrowed a wire tie baler one time when my uncle had the baler
elsewhere. It was green and didn't stick around very long but was probably
worn out. Brought the 282 back and went to stomping out bales again. Sure
liked it when that Hayliner bale picker/stacker came along!

Short version: get good twine. see what the manufacturer recommended and
make sure you're using that type. Keep the knotters in out of the weather,
keep them greased, and they should last a long time.

I don't have any useful experience with a wire tie rig but the twine ones
can be quite good. Dad finally got a used JD large round baler this year
that I helped him overhaul this summer (new belts, pickup parts, bearings,
etc). We'll see how it holds up; my guess is it won't be around as many
decades as that New Holland rig.

Ken in AZ