[AT] welding problems

K7jdj at aol.com K7jdj at aol.com
Sun Nov 15 14:08:02 PST 2009

In a message dated 11/15/2009 5:31:50 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jthall at worldnet.att.net writes:
Is there

something wrong with the welder, or is it something to do with these
imported rods?

First my disclaimer -- I am a self taught  welder.  I have several welding
books that I have studied and about 50  years of off and on practice in the
barn yard.

My AC welder is a  1950 Craftsman 200 amp.  It's a good all copper no
cooling fan  welder.  There are no capacitors etc in this welder -- just a tapped
 transformer so you have about 20 current selections.  I have trouble at
the  lower settings for light metal as one choice is to low and the next
higher  setting is to high.

Over the years I have purchased new and old garage  sale rod.  I keep the
rod in a converted ice box with some heat (2 long  life 60 watt bulbs).  I am
amazed how much difference there can be in AWS  Classified welding rod.  I
had a  50 lb box of  6011 "McKay" (sp)  rod many years ago that was
fantastic on my welder.  Easy to use and  produced good welds.  Much easier to use
than Hobart or Lincoln but I have  not found a source since.

As to 7018, Lincoln Electric "The  Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding" book
does list 7018 as being AC or DC rod BUT  states that DC is preferred for
"Welding stainless steel and other low-hydrogen  types or electrodes"
(page 4.2-8).  I have also purchased 7018 that is  supposed to be
formulated to work better with AC.

For most of the 7018  welding I use an old engine driven SA-200.  It is so
much nicer to use than  my Lincoln Ranger 8.  The Ranger 8 uses rectifiers
to produce DC and does  not weld nearly as smooth as the old SA-200 that
generates true DC  output.

I think your welder is fine.  My Craftsman was probably made  by Hobart.
You might try lower amperage settings.  I use about 150  amps for 1/8 7018 on
my Craftsman. You may find other brands of rod that will  work fine.  Many
larger hardware stores, farm stores, Lowes, Home Depot  etc. carry welding
supplies and you can find other brands of rod in small  quantities. I find
that I need to learn all over each time I have a welding  job.  Usually by the
time I get the welder set the best for the rod, and  what I am welding I
have finished the job.  I have never had any luck with  6013.  Welds look good
until I remove the slag and then my bad welding  really shows.