[AT] Stripped threads in alum head

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Nov 30 17:20:20 PST 2009

rdhaskell wrote:
>  Hi Charles.
> All the alignment pins I have dealt with are just pressed in.  Grab them
> with some vise grips and twist and pull.
>
> Ron Haskell
> rdhaskell at juno.com
> Riverside, California USA
> http://picasaweb.google.com/RonHaskell
>
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:58:30 -0500 "charles bridges"
> <bridgescharles at hughes.net> writes:
>
>>  The drill bit or tap for the helicoil will not go
>> through the
>> steel sleeve.  How do you get them out to drill and tap the hole
>> out.

True they are pressed in BUT they also align the camshaft bore in this
instance.
Unless you can be 100% sure they go back in the exact same place to keep
the cap aligned I wouldn't move them. Nothing like wiping out a bearing
real quick.

For a head or transmission case I wouldn't worry much, but for a cam or
crank bearing all bets are off.

--
Steve W.