[AT] Case VAC

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 13:42:13 PST 2009

That $600 Case VAC I recently bought has been sitting where I rolled
it off of the trailer since I brought it home. It had not been started
in 4 years but the exhaust was well capped and until this summer it
was under a carport. The seller's father had put some oil in the
pistons and turned it over when he quit working on it so it was not
stuck. It has one tire that holds air but you can almost see the air.
The other is almost as bad and leaks pretty fast. We did air it up to
load and again to unload. I had left it sitting since I had other
things to get done. Yesterday while I was waiting for Thanksgiving
guest to arrive I put a good 6 volt battery in it and it turned over
nicely and obviously had at least some compression. I got to looking
at wiring and stuff and then got a little piece of flint sandpaper and
sanded down what was left of the well worn points. I dumped about 2
quarts of gas in the surprisingly clean but very empty tank. With a
little ether and some choking it began firing a little and then
smoothed out and ran like an absolute dream... I let it warm up a
little than shut it off then I restarted it. It fired back up
flawlessly and was running smoothly instantly. While there will be a
herd of little things that I will need to do to it later this winter
all it actually needs now is a return spring on the throttle
"someplace". I haven't looked at it yet but when you open the throttle
the governor opens fine but when you try to slow it down you have to
push the linkage back with a fingertip to slow it down. That and of
course some tire replacing. The PO had replaced both front tires and
had bought but not changed 1 new 11.2x28 rear tire and tube which came
with the tractor when I got it.
I'll see if the old tire will hold air long enough to drive it in
under roof until I can get to it, probably in January. The rims are
quite good so it won't take long but I do want to paint the rims
before I put the new tires on the back.
I was especially pleased that it did not smoke and I didn't see any blow-by
Sometimes, even if by accident, something goes right... :-)
The little Massey Harris Pony has also been sitting where I last
parked it. I did drive it around after I unloaded it but the horrible
little broken down lawnmower seat someone had put on it sits like a
small toadstool. I also need to put it inside somewhere this weekend,
probably in an empty horse stall in the barn down the road. Well, it
is a Pony.  :-)

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson