[AT] Salting roads (was Re: Trans. fluid

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 25 17:11:57 PST 2009

> Mike,
> Aluminum doesn't handle salt very well either.

True.  Once I took off from a carrier with a helicopter that
immediately swallowed a small bolt into one engine.  We went onto the
water.  Thankfully, the helo was the sort that floats.  After a few
tense minutes, we flew it out and back to the carrier. We were met by
a bunch of mechanics with fresh water hoses, and the thing got quite
carefully washed and cleaned.  Of course it is mostly aluminum.
Estimated value back then was about one million $, so they take good
care of them!

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net