[AT] Salting roads (was Re: Trans. fluid

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Nov 25 06:07:51 PST 2009

The problem with "salt" (sodium chloride - NaCl) is that it doesn't work
much below about 15°F (-9°C). But it turns out that our old friend
calcium chloride (CaCl) is effective down to much lower temperatures
than common salt. So if the road department sprays some liquid CaCl on
the road *before* the precipitation, it will prevent the "black ice" and
hard pack snow from forming. Another alternative is to spray the regular
road salt with the CaCl right before spreading it, that will increase
the effectiveness of the whole process.

Needles to say, if you see the trucks spraying liquid down before a
storm, you DO NOT want to be following them with your vehicle. :-(

The only reason I know about this stuff is because I am part of my
town's government and have responsibility for the DPW. We are
investigating the various alternatives to just dumping large amounts of
(increasingly expensive) salt on the town roads. I recently took a
"field trip" to a nearby town to see how they were dealing with the
issues <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/allamuchy-calcium-c/>. For a
number of reasons, we will more likely be going with an arrangement to
spray the regular salt with liquid CaCl as we load it onto the trucks.

If you think salt is bad for the underside of the vehicles, you should
see what it does to the spreaders and truck bodies, even when we hot
pressure wash them after applying the salt. (I suggested that they not
bring the trucks inside the building after spreading, but that just
creates a different set of problems.) The next truck we order will
likely have an aluminum body.

Mike