[AT] [Possible SPAM] Re: Fluid flushing auto - OT

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Nov 23 17:10:06 PST 2009

carl gogol wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the input - I have not doubt that the tranny needs an
> oil change at about 50K, should probably look in he manual for the exact
> reccomend.  I do not know if a flush is better than a change - the Wynn corp
> that makes the flushing unit the dealer uses has a brochure that claims it
> is better because they can get all of the oil out and improved where a drain
> leaves about half the oil still in the tranny - their words not mine.

And they are correct, The flush machines do a much better job of
changing the FLUID than dropping the pan. However the flush does NOT
change the filter.

> I have never changed the oil in a PS unit or the brakes before and have not
> ever had a failure that can be traced to it as far as I know.  Maybe the
> newer iron needs it more than the older stuff - thought someone might know.
> There is nothing in these units that is more advanced than 30 years ago is
> there or do the newer ABS brakes put more of a demads on the fluids - for
> example?

ABS is VERY unforgiving of any crud in the system. Even something as
simple as changing the brake pads by forcing the pistons in with the
bleeders closed can push enough crap into the ABS unit to cause trouble.

--
Steve W.