[AT] Spam> OT: Hand threading steel pipe

K7jdj at aol.com K7jdj at aol.com
Thu Nov 19 16:49:23 PST 2009

OK boys and girls,

I occasionally get  involved in projects that require hand threading 1/2
inch through 1 inch   black iron pipe.  Lately I have been having trouble with
the threads being  damaged.  I bought new cutters for my 3/4 inch die but
still  having trouble.  The threads seem to get damaged toward the end of the
 cutting process.  I try to get the shavings and chips removed and back off
 the cutter to "break" the chips loose but continue to have poor threads.
I  use dark cutting oil and lots of air to clean the cutter.  Any
suggestions?  A local plumber said it was mostly the "import" pipe and that  hand
cutting is difficult because of the lack of continuous motion when using a
ratchet type of cutter.

Gary
Renton, WA