[Farmall] Van Sickle Paints

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Tue Nov 17 06:55:46 PST 2009

I got some VanSickle blue several years ago.  At the time, it was the only
reasonable match that I knew of for Harvester Blue.  It is conventional
"inexpensive" machinery paint.  With paint, you do to some extent get what
you pay for.  I have applied it with both a brush and a Preval sprayer.  It
goes on pretty well.  Even I can make it look half way decent.  I agree with
Bob on the Preval, but my local Home Depot and Lowes no longer carry it.

The color match for blue is good.  I can't speak to how their gray matches
any of the IH grays.  I'm not sure I have tested for fading.  The things I
painted mostly stay inside a building with skylights, but not directly in
the sun/weather.

I one shortcoming I have noticed is durability to direct wear.  One of the
things I painted was a sickle bar mower.  I thought the paint on the cutter
bar wore off much more quickly than an original IH paint job.  A cutter bar
is exposed to quite a lot of abrasion, so I shuoldn't expect wonders in that
application..

Jim Becker        jim.becker at verizon.net