[AT] Why not New Mexico Hello out there

Beal Gleason farmerbeal at aol.com
Mon Nov 16 19:55:01 PST 2009

I hear you talking about going to South America or Australia because
you are getting to where you don't like the winters.  Why not consider
someplace closer to home like New Mexico?

I was raised in Iowa and got tired of the winters and I was looking
for a place to move during WWII. I never considered New Mexico, even
though my wife was from there.  I was working for New Holland at the
time and they wanted me to go back to California for the winter. Well
I didn't want to go back to California, so I quit New Holland and
started looking for a place to move. My father-in-law talked me into
looking at a place out east of Lovington New Mexico.  At first I
didn't think too much of it at the time, and just kept looking.

Then one night in Kansas while looking for a place when my wife asked
me,  "Do you realize what you are  doing?

I said "What are you talking about?"

She pointed out to me that every place I was looking at I was
comparing it to that place out east of Lovington, New Mexico.  She
wanted to know why I didn't just go back there and buy it?

So I did and I never have been sorry.  I most certainly have never
been sorry to leave the Iowa cold winters far behind me.  But I just
want to remind you that you don't have to leave the USA to have
wonderful winters.  While we have some bad days here, tomorrow again
the sun will probably be shinning.