[AT] welding problems

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 15 05:29:39 PST 2009

OK stick welding experts, got one for you. The welder we have is a 40+ year
old Marquette, bought new for use here on the farm. I had to buy some more
welding rods over the past several months and unfortunately had to switch
brands. We had always used Hobart (or possibly Lincoln) rods. The welding
supply chain now only sells Hyundai rods in small quantities (10 lb) boxes.
I can't justify buying 50lbs of Hobart rods.
 Anyway, on to my problem. I picked up a new box of 1/8" 7018 rods to do
some repair on my subsoiler. I set the welder as high as it would go (180)
and could not get it to weld. All I could get was a couple of arcs and
sometimes the rod would stick.  Before you ask, yes I cleaned where I was
welding, cleaned the ground area, made sure the terminals on the welder were
clean, and even cut off and reinstalled the end of the ground cable where it
goes into the clamp. I also tried grounding and welding on 3 different
pieces--all of varying size and thickness.  I resorted to using 3/32 rods
with the welder set on 125. It would run those rods so hot that they would
almost turn red before it was time to switch. I know I have used 1/8" 7014
before, so my question is this--Is there a difference between 7014 and 7018
that makes the 7018 require a higher setting on the welder, Is there
something wrong with the welder, or is it something to do with these
imported rods?

John Hall