[AT] Little Massey Harris coming to TMCOTKU

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 12:15:19 PST 2009

OK, I was going to go look at a 9N Ford with a Sherman box in it this
week then...
I happened to open an ad on CraigsLists for what was called a Massey
Ferguson Pony for $950. I almost never see one of those things sell
around here and when they do they sell high. I saw one last week in an
ad for $2250.  Actually all small easily loaded and hauled tractors
are getting high around here since so many can't haul big ones around
unless they have an expensive larger trailer and at least a 3/4 ton
truck. Anyone with a good small trailer can haul these little ones.
Back to this tractor, I pounced on this ad since I first fell in love
with the Pony when I saw a new one being sold painted gray under the
Ferguson name back in the early 1950's. I went to see it today and
struck a deal for $850. It runs like a top (but needed choke to keep
it running smooth). Didn't smoke, didn't rattle or clatter. Front
tires look about like new. Back tires showing weather check but seem
sound enough. Sheet metal all pretty good but battery cover missing.
Has a hydraulic system and someone (I don't think factory) has built a
little hydraulic 3 point hitch on it. I think it is made from a set of
cultivator mounts. Seat needs discarding. :-)
It does not have the PTO/belt pulley option on it. I probably will not
bother to buy one.
I was too busy looking at other stuff to remember to write the name
plate info down and I may not haul it until Sunday. As I read about
them I am not certain if it is actually a Pony or if it is a Pacer...
It doesn't really matter but I doubt that it will ever crank a
dynamometer up to 143 HP like Spencer's Pacer did at Portland some
years ago. :-)
I may not haul it right away because the route to where it is is only
about 5 miles out a straight line from where the Case VAC I just
bought is located and I would like to just make one trip (about a 120
mile round trip). They are not very far apart.
Here is the Massey Harris:
http://picasaweb.google.com/robinson46176/MyMasseyHarrisPony#5402544749307722290
http://picasaweb.google.com/robinson46176/MyMasseyHarrisPony#5402544739907272658
-
And here is the $600. Case VAC:
http://picasaweb.google.com/robinson46176/CaseVAC#5402548612811839234
-
Maybe the N Ford will happen next year...

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"