[Farmall] F-12

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Mon Nov 9 09:27:26 PST 2009

This is a bit of a re-run, I sent a note the the AT list and am posting some
of the replies.

A good friend has rebuilt one of these old girls.  No matter how much he
Cranks it will not start. Just a little pull with another tractor and it
Fires right up.

He says he can hear the impulse snapping but no start with the crank.

I know compression fuel and spark in the right order. At the right time.

Suggestions---

"Talk to Karl on the Farmall list. F-12s are difficult to get to start with
The crank, often having fuel problems- worn end on the fuel pump drive, etc.

Guy Fay

"The plunger for the fuel pump is a good place to check. I ran into that
Problem once on a F-12.  Sometimes the check valves on the pump can be quite
Annoying as well.

My only other thought is you said it was just rebuilt. Is he positive
Everything is put back together in time and working properly?"

John Hall

"H.L.:
I would check the valves, of course.  However I had this problem many
Many moons ago, The throttle shaft on the carburetor was loose in the
Bearing.  In the kits they used to put a seal that pressed into the carb
Housing and sealed the throttle shaft.  My old mentor mechanic
Admonished me to no end for not installing that seal..  Put it in and it
Started right up on the first crank."

Cecil in OKla

H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma