[AT] aid please

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Nov 7 17:25:38 PST 2009

Fergusons use 90wt PMO (pure mineral oil), or otherwise called GL-1

I respectfully disagree with the use of multi-grade oil in the old
tractors.  I recently read a report from a group of ASAE engineers who
studied the multi grades versus the straight weights. Seems that the
late engines run hotter and they can get the viscosity improvers to work
at the higher temperatures.  The older engines did not run as hot.
Unless the radiators were plugged, or the cooling syste had a lot of
rust etc. etc.

I have always used 30wt in my old ones, My 04 Case JX85 requires
multi-grade, so I am using 15-40 Mystic.  I use Conoco Fleetgaurd 30W in
everything else.  I have 2 ford vehicles with the 5.3 liter that reqires
5W20 oil.  If I use that thin stuff, I have to add a quart every 500
miles.  If I use 15-40, they run fine and do not knock when cold etc..
It is warmer here down in OK, so that may be the reason I get by with it.

Cecil in OKla