[Farmall] Tires for an H

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Thu Nov 5 08:04:37 PST 2009

I must have never read that part of an Owner's Manual, because I don't
remember ever hearing that before.  My first thought is that doesn't make a
lot of sense.  CaCl is a salt and the reduced freezing point comes from it
being a salt solution (ionization in water and all that).  I wouldm't expect
it to be particularly acid.  But there has to be some reason for the
recommendation.  Maybe tire-grade CaCl typically has some acidic impurities?
Without an acid to combine I wouldn't expect much lime to disolve and most
of it would tend be in suspension and settle to the bottom whenever it is
parked.  To whatever extent there is acid, the lime should combine and
neutralize it, producing a salt as a byproduct.  More salt would reduce the
freezing point.

I am not a chemist.  My chemistry education consists of a high school class
that I struggled my way through 45 years ago.  So I petty much expect to be
corrected on all the above.

Jim Becker        jim.becker at verizon.net