[AT] Climbing on and off of our old tractors

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Mon Nov 2 20:12:29 PST 2009

    I have a Case 430 row crop with continuous running PTO, meaning it uses
a 2 stage clutch with a hand lever to stop forward drive and maintain PTO
power.
    This is the easiest tractor I have to mount and dismount. Has a low
platform and low seat where you straddle the transmission like on a Ford.
One step on the platform with your left foot and swing your right leg over
the transmission and sit down, or stand up if you have the seat flipped up.
So handy for doing stop and go jobs like picking up rocks. Just pull back on
the hand clutch to stop and leave it in gear. Get off and do the chore then
climb back on and engage the clutch till the next stop. Tractor is easy to
mount from either side, but better from the left as you only have 1 pedal
instead of 2 on the right.

    This tractor has a 4 speed with triple range transmission for 12 forward
and 3 reverse speeds. It has live hydraulic with cat 1, 3 point hitch.

    If you want to learn acrobatics, try mounting a front entry skid loader
gracefully.

                                Gene